A survey of Christian hymnody / William J. Reynolds, Milburn Price ; revised and enlarged by David W. Music, Milburn Price.Material type: TextCarol Stream, Illinois : Hope Publishing Company, ©2010Description: xxiv, 407 pages ; 23 cmContent type: text Media type: unmediated ISBN: 0763628180171Subject(s): Hymns -- History and Criticism | Hymns, EnglishLOC classification: ML 3186 | R338 2010
|Item type||Home library||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
The PBTS Library
The PBTS Library is located on the ground floor of the Administration Building with a floor area of 502 square meters. The main purpose of the library is service to the resource and information needs of students, faculty, staff and other library users. The library collection is open to constituents of the seminary as well as to students of other seminaries and theological institutions, pastors, and church workers.
The PBTS Library offers circulation, reserve, reference and reader's advisory services. Facilities and materials available include major theological books, Bibles, religious journals and other special services such as photocopying, computer and internet use for students.
The PBTS Library Goals
|ML 3186 R338 2010 (Browse shelf(Opens below))||Available||47179|
Introduction: The Naming of Hymns -- Hymns as Poetry -- Hymns as Music -- Hymns as Theology -- Hymnody in the Functions of the Church -- The Language of Hymnody
1. Early Church Song: The Book of Psalms -- Old Testament Canticles -- New Testament Hymns -- Early Christian Hymnody -- Byzantine Hymnody -- The Development of Latin Hymnody
2. The Lutheran Chorale: The Significance of Martin Luther -- Emergence of the Kantional Style -- Seventeenth-Century Developments -- Late Seventeenth-and Eighteenth-Century Developments -- The Nineteenth Century -- Scandinavian Hymnody -- Hymnody Outside the Lutheran Tradition
3. Psalmody: Genevan Psalmody -- English Psalmody -- Early Musical Editions of the Old Version -- Other English Psalters -- Scottish Psalters -- John Playford -- Tate and Brady's New Version -- The Decline of the Metrical Psalm -- Psalmody and Music Education
4. British Hymnody, I: Early Appearance of Hymns in England – Early Attempts to Introduce Hymn Singing – Isaac Watts – Wesleyan Hymnody – Hymnody of the Evangelical Revival – Independents, Presbyterians, and Baptists – Moravian Hymnody in England – Hymn Singing in the Church of England – Transitional Writers: Montgomery and Kelly – Eighteenth-Century Musical Developments
5. British Hymnody, II: The Nineteenth Century – The Oxford Movement – Victorian Hymns and Tunes – Non-Anglican Hymnody – The Twentieth Century – Recent Developments – Scholarship in Hymnody
6. American Hymnody, I: Psalmody in Colonial America – Attempts to Improve Psalm Singing – Early American Singing Schools – Immigrants and Influences – Hymn Singing of the Great Awakening – Denominational Activity – Camp-Meeting Songs – Folk Hymnody – Shape-Notes – Other Early Nineteenth-Century Developments
7. American Hymnody, II: Nineteenth-Century Hymns and Hymn Writers – The Emergence of the Gospel Song – Nineteenth-Century Hymnals – Expansion of Southern Shape-Note Singing – Twentieth-and Twenty-First Century Developments – Twentieth-and Twenty-First Century Hymns and Hymn Writers – Twentieth-and Twenty-First Century Hymnals – American Hymnal Companions
8. Global Hymnody: Africa – Asia – Latin America and the Caribbean – Performance Practices – Other Published Collections of Global Hymnody